As summer has drawn to an end and we near the final quarter of the year, just five venture fund emerging managers raised more than $381.2 million from Aug. 28 through Sept. 10, according to research from Venture Capital Journal.
The five emerging managers in the VC community raising funds is tied for the lowest number during any two-week fundraising period this year.
The most recent dollar tally was up from the previous two-week period’s year-low of $269.1 million, but still far below the yearly average of $954.9 million.
Year to date, new venture managers have raised a combined $17.2 billion, according to VCJ.
Base Partners outraised all other venture firms. The Brazil-based firm’s sophomore fund raised $135.9 million from 43 investors, according to a regulatory filing. Its debut fund closed on $75 million in 2017.
Base Partners focuses on leading technology companies and helps them win the Brazilian market before moving on to the Latin American markets.
Strategic Healthcare Investment Partners was not far behind with its debut fund, which reached $125 million of a targeted $130 million. The commitments were raised from just five investors, according to a filing.
Strategic Healthcare was founded in 2018 by Brad H. Vale, who previously led Johnson & Johnson’s venture arm and Mudit K. Jain, previously with Synergy Life Science Partners, to focus on medical device and digital health innovation.
DSG Consumer Partners, in market with its third fund, raked in the third most. The Southeast Asia-based firm raised $99.9 million of a targeted $105 million through two vehicles.
Below is a complete list of the seven venture fundraisers for the two weeks ending on Sept. 10.
- Fund name: Base Growth II
- Focus: Leading technology companies for the Brazilian market and Latin American markets.
- Amount raised: $135.4 million
- Target: $135.4 million
- Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Phone: +55-11-4871-1732
- Filing: https://bit.ly/2mc148G
- Fund names: BIP Capital Mini Fund III, LP; BIP Capital Mini Fund III-QP
- Focus: Growth and early stage investments in entrepreneurs.
- Amount raised: $7.2 million
- Target: $20 million
- Location: Atlanta
- Phone: +1 404-495-5230
- Filing: https://bit.ly/2miJIHp; https://bit.ly/2lTVLuv
Contour Venture Partners
- Fund name: Contour Opportunity Fund II
- Focus: Innovative technology solutions for the financial services, enterprise SaaS, vertical B2B SaaS and digital media sectors, with a focus on New York City.
- Amount raised: $13.7 million
- Target: $30 million
- Location: New York City
- Phone: +1 212-644-5481
- Filing: https://bit.ly/2ml6K0t
DSG Consumer Partners
- Fund names: DSG Consumer Partners III; DSGCP Buildout II
- Focus: India and South East Asia consumer products.
- Amount raised: $99.9 million
- Target: $105 million
- Location: Singapore
- Phone: +65 65116888
- Filing: https://bit.ly/2lS0tcc; https://bit.ly/2ml2xd5
Strategic Healthcare Investment Partners
- Fund name: Strategic Healthcare Investment Partners I
- Focus: Medical device and digital health innovation targeting large unmet needs.
- Amount raised: $125 million
- Target: $130 million
- Location: Santa Clara, Calif.
- Phone: +1 650-402-2560
- Filing: https://bit.ly/2kjZiln
Download a spreadsheet with information about all of the funds: Emerging VC Roundup.