* Daniel Gross: The FDIC sold IndyMac to fast and too cheap. And to think, Thomas H. Lee Partners bailed out of the buying consortium just weeks ago, because it didn’t believe the terms could produce PE-level returns.
* Carl Icahn: The right way to Icahn-proof your board.
* VC-backed battery maker A123 Systems still can’t push into the public markets, but that doesn’t mean it can’t ask for $1.84 billion in public monies.
* Marion Maneker nails it: The media’s problem is advertising, and it’s a problem that the Web is exacerbating, not relieving.
* Financial covenants on the auto bailout loans? To be determined.
* Dominick DeChiara, chair of the private equity practice at law firm Nixon Peabody, on how some firms are using alternative structures to get deals done: