Salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM) has completed its previously-announced acquisition of Jigsaw, a San Mateo, Calif.-based provider of crowd-sourced business contact information. The deal was valued at $142 million in cash, plus the possibility of around another $14 million in earn-outs. Jigsaw had raised just over $20 million in VC funding, from Austin Ventures, El Dorado Ventures and Norwest Venture Partners.
Salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), the enterprise cloud computing (http://www.salesforce.com/cloudcomputing/) company, today announced it has completed its acquisition of Jigsaw, the privately held leader in crowd-sourced data services based in San Mateo, Calif. In acquiring Jigsaw, salesforce.com makes its strategic entry into the $3 billion cloud-based, business contact data services market.
Salesforce.com’s more than 72,500 customers can now realize new levels of success by leveraging Jigsaw’s world-class, real-time business contact data as a part of Cloud 2. Using a unique Wikipedia-style crowd-sourcing model, Jigsaw delivers the world’s most complete and accurate business contact data available in the cloud. Jigsaw’s tremendous success has been fueled by its vibrant community of more than 1.2 million members. Over the last six years, community members have built and maintained a contact database of more than 21 million business professionals at 3 million companies. Jigsaw currently has more than 800 corporate customers, 70 percent of which are also salesforce.com customers, including CA, EMC and Siemens.
Comments on the News
- “Salesforce.com and Jigsaw share a vision for harnessing the innovation of the consumer Web to transform the enterprise,” said Marc Benioff, chairman and CEO, salesforce.com. “Jigsaw’s unique crowd-sourcing model embodies the power of Cloud 2, which is inherently social, collaborative and accessible via new mobile devices. With the acquisition of Jigsaw, salesforce.com is entering an entirely new market to not only increase customer success, but also open up new opportunities for partnerships with data service providers in Cloud 2.”
- “The combination of Jigsaw and salesforce.com means that we may spend even more time on what matters most,” said Corrine Lattell, vice president, global marketing operations, CA, Inc. “Combining cloud-based data services with business contact data is great because it makes our investments in Salesforce CRM apps even better. Now we’ll be able to drive higher levels of adoption, close more business, and increase sales productivity.”
- “Demandbase’s mission is to provide the fastest path to business,” said Chris Golec, CEO, Demandbase. “With salesforce.com’s acquisition of Jigsaw, we can harness the power of Salesforce CRM apps and Jigsaw’s accurate business contact data to help customers realize even greater value from a combined data solution from Demandbase. We are eager to work with Jigsaw and salesforce.com to discover new opportunities for success in the cloud.”
Salesforce.com Accelerates Business Contact Data to Cloud 2
The acquisition combines the power of salesforce.com’s suite of CRM applications and leading enterprise cloud computing platform, Force.com, with Jigsaw’s cloud-based model for the automation of acquiring, completing and cleansing business contact data. In deeply integrating business contact data into Salesforce CRM, salesforce.com can accelerate it to Cloud 2. Once Salesforce Chatter becomes available later this year, the business contact data can be social, collaborative and accessible on mobile devices. In addition, the integration enables salesforce.com to lay the foundation for a rich data ecosystem, creating an enormous opportunity for developers and independent software vendors to deliver entirely new apps. In turn, the better access to data will fuel a market for all kinds of data to power all kinds of apps – creating expanded commercial opportunities for information services companies like D&B, Hoover’s and LexisNexis in the cloud.
Jigsaw (http://www.jigsaw.com) is a leading provider of business information and data services that uniquely leverages user-generated content contributed by its global business-to-business community of 1.2 million members. Jigsaw gives individuals and companies access to business contact information for 21 million business professionals and profiles of 3 million companies. In addition to delivering low-cost and easy access to high-value business information for sales, marketing, recruiting and customer service, Jigsaw provides a variety of cloud-based data acquisition and management services. Founded in 2004, Jigsaw is located in San Mateo, Calif. and is a salesforce.com company.
Salesforce.com is the enterprise cloud computing company. Based on salesforce.com’s real-time, multitenant architecture, the company’s platform and CRM applications (http://www.salesforce.com/crm) have revolutionized the way companies collaborate and communicate with their customers, including:
- The Sales Cloud, for sales force automation and contact management
- The Service Cloud, for customer service and support solutions
- Chatter, for social collaboration
- The Force.com platform, for custom application development
- The AppExchange, the world’s leading marketplace for enterprise cloud computing applications
Salesforce.com offers the fastest path to customer success with cloud computing. As of January 31, 2010, salesforce.com manages customer information for approximately 72,500 customers including Allianz Commercial, Dell, Japan Post, Kaiser Permanente, KONE, and SunTrust Banks.
Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase salesforce.com applications should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available. Salesforce.com has headquarters in San Francisco, with offices in Europe and Asia, and trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol “CRM.” For more information please visit http://www.salesforce.com, or call 1-800-NO-SOFTWARE.