Company/ Amount $M/ Select investors/ Description
- ePocrates Inc./ $40.00/ Goldman, Sachs & Co., InterWest Partners, Sprout Group, Three Arch Partners/ Provides handheld Internet enabled computing systems for physicians.
- Moksha8 Inc./ $39.00/ TPG Growth, undisclosed corporate investor/ Operates as a biotechnology company.
- Alder Biopharmaceuticals Inc./ $33.50/ Delphi Ventures, HIG Capital Management, Sevin Rosen Funds, TPG Growth, WRF Capital/ Develops a yeast cell-based method for producing antibodies.
- Lanx/ $25.00/ Chicago Growth Partners, Oakwood Medical Investors, undisclosed venture firm/ Designs medical devices.
- ViewRay Inc./ $25.00/ Aisling Capital, Fidelity Biosciences, Kearny Venture Partners, OrbiMed Advisors/ Develops MRI-guided radiation therapy devices.
- Sonexa Therapeutics Inc./ $24.00/ Alta Partners, Domain Associates, Scale Venture Partners, undisclosed investor/ Operates as a biopharmaceutical company.
- Ulthera Inc./ $22.50/ 3i (US), New Enterprise Associates/ Develops therapeutic medical devices for dermatology markets.
- Cetero Research/ $22.10/ KRG Capital Partners, Summit Partners/ Provides early clinical research services for pharmaceutical industry.
- Arbor Surgical Technologies Inc./ $20.00/ Affinity Capital Management, Alloy Ventures, Baird Capital Partners, Delphi Ventures, Fisk Ventures Inc., Johnson & Johnson, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, Medtronic, Sage Venture Management, Sapient Capital Management, Three Arch Partners/ Operates as a cardiovascular device company.
- Bridge Laboratories/ $18.00/ Granite Global Ventures, undisclosed investor/ Provides pre-clinical contract research to drug manufacturers.
Largest investments in medical, health and life science companies by U.S. VCs for January 2008.
Source: Data by Thomson Financial for PwC/NVCA MoneyTree Survey.