Venture Capital Journal is pleased to announce the opening of nominations for our third annual list that identifies 40 rising stars under 40 in the venture community.
To be eligible, the nominees must work in the venture industry, either at venture firms, limited partners or advisory firms and service providers (which can include the banking and credit industries, law firms, placement agents and fund administrators). Nominations in various roles at investment firms are eligible, including the investment team, investor relations, operations, marketing and portfolio support.
In particular, we are looking for those who have accomplished something notable over the last 12 months. For example, nominees may have received a promotion; started a mentoring program; played a role in an innovative or significant deal; helped to implement an ESG policy; become a thought leader through blogging; led their fund’s investment activity in a new sector or region; taken identifiable steps to facilitate greater diversity and inclusion in their firm, portfolio companies or the industry more broadly; founded a firm; or helped their organization successfully navigate the pandemic.
To be eligible, nominees should be under the age of 40 as of January 1, 2022.
The 2022 list may feature individuals across the following categories:
- Early-stage/seed-stage VC
- Late-stage/growth-equity VC
- Multi-stage investor
- GP founder
- Banking or credit industry
- Advisory firm or placement agent
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS is Monday, November 1, 2021
When sending in the nomination, include the following:
- The contact details of who is submitting the nomination. Anyone can nominate Rising Stars, whether they are colleagues, industry peers or in PR. And it’s not necessary to send in multiple nominations for each candidate. You may nominate more than one person from the same firm. But because of the growing popularity of Rising Stars, final selection is limited to one per firm.
- The details of the nominee’s name, age, title, firm and focus area. Also include a link to the nominee’s online bio. Or copy and paste the person’s bio in the email.
- The geographic focus area of nominee and where he or she is based.
- The category for the nominee (see above for list). Note that we will select and publish a list of 40 in total, not per category.
- A brief description (under 200 words) of what the nominee has achieved over the last 12 months, making the person stand out, such as professional highlights or notable deals he or she has worked on. Please note that any information disclosed in the email nomination is deemed suitable for publication.
- A hi-res color photo (JPEG format preferred) or a link to download an image of the nominee.
Rising Stars from our previous lists are not eligible for the new 2022 edition. However, those who were nominated in prior years but not tapped as finalists are eligible for this year’s edition, so long as they remain under age 40. If a candidate was previously submitted and you wish to nominate them again, you must email a new nomination and adhere to the steps above.
VCJ’s editorial team will decide the composition of the list ahead of its publication in the first issue of 2022.
Factors that may help decide final selection include:
- Achievements over the last 12 months (since October 1, 2020) in their careers, their firm or in the broader venture community;
- Evidence of a measurable impact, such as closing a deal, securing an LP commitment or launching diversity initiatives;
- Evidence of leadership or influence within their own firm or the broader venture field, such as via blogging, speaking duties or working with peers.
For questions, please contact VCJrisingstars@peimedia.com
Readers can check out the most recent Rising Stars feature published in January 2021.